Lyra Kleos SL
moving coil cartridge
Most users (and phono stages) will benefit from the regular Kleos with much higher output and considerably more energy; resulting in a much better signal-to-noise ratio. If you are in doubt about which version of Kleos that will work best in your system, please go with the regular Kleos.
The Kleos SL may provide extra pure and pristine sound from an audio system that is optimized for a low-impedance, low-output cartridge. However, this may be accompanied with a lesser level of energy and power.
Lyra nevertheless has decided to offer SL models, as built-to-order at a 10% surcharge, for those who are confident that they can extract the benefits from such a low-output MC phono cartridge.
- Designer: Jonathan Carr
- Builder: Yoshinori Mishima (final build, testing), Akiko Ishiyama (primary build)
- Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance moving coil cartridge
- Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3um x 70um), slot-mounted
- Body: Nickel-plated duraluminum
- Cantilever system: Solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body
- Coils: Single layer, 6N high-purity copper, square-shaped chemically-purified high-purity iron former, 2.7ohms self-impedance
- Output voltage: 0.25mV@5cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
- Frequency range: 10Hz ~ 50kHz
- Channel separation: Greater than 30dB at 1kHz
- Compliance: Approx. 12×10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz
- Cartridge body: One-piece machining from solid 7075 alloy billet, with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, partially non-parallel shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanism, and body threaded directly for mounting screws
- Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard
- Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.5mm
- Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 8.8g
- Tracking force: 1.65 ~ 1.75g (1.72g recommended)
- Recommended load directly into MC phono input: Detailed guidelines in instruction manual, finalize by listening
- Recommended load via step-up transformer: Use a step-up transformer designed for 1 – 3 ohms cartridge impedance (step-up transformer’s output must be connected to 10kohm ~ 47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low-capacitance cable)
- Recommended tonearms: Medium to Medium-High mass arms recommended, which is bulk of tonearm market