DMA-500AR Anniversary Reference Mono Power Amp
Spectral DMA-500AR Anniversary Reference Mono Power Amp
- The DMA-500 Anniversary Reference mono amplifier was a limited edition masterpiece that Spectral introduced in order to celebrate their 40th anniversary. Each pair of amplifiers went through an extensive 500 hour burn-in. Then each pair spent one week in the listening room at the Spectral factory for final tweaking to the nth degree before they were shipped. In addition the channel-to-channel matching of each pair was done to an extraordinarily high level.
- When we first heard the production prototype in early July 2017 here at the store we were rather amazed. We thought that we would hear a subtle but noticeable improvement over previous Spectral power amp designs. However this was beyond what we expected. Shortly thereafter we received our production pair and we had a chance to really audition it even more thoroughly. In long term listening it proved to be a winner.
- Then in November 2017, Alan Goodwin visited the Spectral factory and had the opportunity to talk extensively one-on-one with both Keith Johnson (Chief Designer) and Richard Fryer (President and Project Manager) about what they had achieved with this new amp. Literally this represents a technological breakthrough. With single-sourced custom parts and a unique circuit designed around those custom parts, Spectral had taken the art/science of power amplification design to a whole new level. Never before had we ever heard such a pure and natural expression of our favorite music. There were many very technical aspects to the design, but really all you need to know is that this was a very special amplifier that one simply had to hear to appreciate.
- After living with it now since 2017, we have been very pleased with our long term experience with it. Even now in mid-2021, short of the newly introduced DMA-500SV, it is definitely better sounding than any other model of Spectral power amp extant.
- Note: The specs below are on the conservative side in terms of power, etc. In actuality the power supply of the DMA-500AR has 50% more power capacity as compared to the DMA-400SV which means that these amps can really drive some of the more difficult speaker loads with finesse and ease.
- If you are interested in obtaining a pair of DMA-500AR please feel free to call us at 781-893-9000 and ask to speak to Alan Goodwin or leave him a voicemail at ext. 14.
Selected Design Highlights
- Instrumentation-level amplifier.
- Fourth generation high resolution design.
- Ultra fast settling circuit architecture.
- Precision RF type layout and topology.
- Focused Array high-speed aligned FET output section.
- Generation 2 SHHA high-speed hybrid driver module features SV technology and custom semiconductor topology.
- Power Vault magnetic field containment system.
- New generation vertical MOS-FET output transistors with innovative servo-bias tracking system.
- Multiple power supply array with independent power supplies and bias adjustment for each output device.
- Non-invasive optical and thermal protection circuits.
- Fully discrete design with balanced monaural operation.
- High current systemboard design with bulk copper technology.
- All modular construction with instrumentation connectors.
- Proprietary ultra-precision Teflon Array film capacitor technology.
- Ultra-low distortion achieves one-part-per-million signal accuracy.
SpeedRise Time less than 225 nanosecondsSettling 28 microseconds to 0 signal noiseSlew Rate1200 volts/microsecond
NoiseSignal to Noise 108 dB ASA ACrosstalkzero Input Impedance 10K ohms Sensitivity 1.5 volts / nominal output
Power SupplyLine Voltage100 volts, 120 volts, 220 volts (internal wiring/factory) AC Voltage Range±10% Maximum Consumption 2000 watts Quiescent Consumption 115 watts Operating Temperature 0 degrees Celsius to +50 degrees Celsius 32 degrees Farenheit to 122 degrees Farenheit Protection FeaturesDC Protection Servo0.5 volt rangeCurrent Limit Onset 90 AmpsThermal ThresholdProtects at 85° Celsius 185° Fahrenheit AC Main Fuse 5A/3AG Slo-Blo @120v Dimensions 20" W 19.6" D 7.25" H Weight Net 72 lbs 34 kg Please note that all of the information and specifications provided herein are subject to change owing to the evolutionary nature of Spectral designs and technology.